My name is Lanette Landera – but everyone knows me as Lani. I am a passionate mom on a mission to make a difference in children’s lives both with their education and play!
1. What is one thing everyone should know about you?
The love I have for teaching (and dancing too lol). Since I was younger, I always knew I wanted to be a teacher. I worked as a tutor, counselor, teacher assistant and then teacher. God had other plans for me, so I left teaching BUT stayed in the education field and then came across Recess & Results and the rest is history!!
2. Have you always had a “mompreneur” spirit?
Not at all! The mompreneur in me was discovered when I started with Recess & Results.
3. Do you have a personal mission statement?
My mission is to be a great leader and entrepreneur, as well as continue to help children achieve their goals academically and physically.
4. Tell us a little bit about your God-sized dream, and how your R&R business is helping you get there.
I have to say, I have many dreams. A new dream that came about July 2020 was to run a business. Here I am almost one year later, running a business while saving the world one recess at a time. I have learned SO MUCH with Beth and Recess & Results. I had no idea how to run a business and everything it takes from marketing, partnerships, etc. I also had no idea how much I would love it! My dream is to grow Recess & Results here in Miami AND eventually have a Recess Room here just like Marea has in SC!!
5. How has the Recess & Results opportunity impacted your life? Do you have all day?
Ha! It brought me back to teaching, which I have always loved. Even though my regular job is dealing with students and their academics, I don’t really have much direct interaction with them. This has brought that direct interaction AND what my mission is, to make a difference in their lives. Allowing students to have something to look forward to, like RECESS! Also, my own kids, Jordy & Laila, can join me at work! They come to all my playdates and it’s just the cutest thing them doing the Recess and showing other kiddos how to stretch and do the games.
6. Recess & Results mission is to change the world, one recess at a time. How does it feel to be a part of something bigger than yourself?
AMAZING, just AMAZING. I am really seeing us save the world and these kiddos. The smiles on those little faces makes it all so worth it!
7. How have you personally witnessed this mission in action (could be big or small)?
I actually witnessed this with a little girl that has cerebral palsy. I learned a lot on what to do and not do as well as how I can modify recess games so that kids with special needs can join in on the fun. Seeing the smile on this little girl’s face, just made me realize, this is what I have been called to do!!!!
8. What change has your husband noticed in you since taking the leap to start your business and join this mission?
The biggest change he sees is my ambition and willingness to take risks and get outside of my comfort zone. I have not always been the most open minded individual. However, he says this adventure has allowed me to be more open and willing to try new things. He really admires that and of course all the business and skills we have both learned during this all.
9. When you ask your family what they love most about your Recess & Results business, what do they say?
They are so happy for me and they are my biggest fans and support group. They love that it is something I can do with my kids and family as well as helping kids be fit with exercising while having fun (with such a variety of different games). They’re impressed at my hard work and how the business has been growing in such a short time. They love how I focus on helping others by spotlighting and bringing awareness to various charities (with Recess for a Cause).
10. If there is one piece of advice you would give to another mom just like you, considering starting a mission-driven business, what would it be?
DO IT! Take the leap and trust your gut. I was very hesitant at first. The pandemic was going on, I had never ran a business, I had a lot on my plate. Something was telling me, just do it! (God, of course). I am so glad I did, because this helped me find a reason, a mission, in my career and has helped me meet a lot of new families and my R&R family too!!!!!